So you weren’t at the Annual Harvest Party & Fundraiser? Well, you were probably the only one who wasn’t there because it was PACKED at the Portuguese American Social Club on October 2nd. And our raffle? OUT OF CONTROL with GOODNESS, YO’S!
The Harvest Party is such a great event for so many reasons, but I’d like to take a moment to express a few of them here:
a) The Harvest Party allows us to see each other outside of the context of the garden, to chat, catch-up, recall botanical experiments and compare notes.
b) The Harvest Party offers us an opportunity to experience and embrace the generosity of our neighbors and our community-at-large through our raffle and our potluck.
c) The Harvest Party provides us with the knowledge of our local businesses, without whose support, we would not be able to do as much for the community as we do. Our raffle tells us who supports us, and we, in turn, support them with our local business dollars.
d) The Harvest Party gives us a time to convene and celebrate all that we are able to give back to the community and celebrate our members for doing so, in-and-out of the garden.
e) The Harvest Party provides the funds, through our raffle via the donations by the gardeners and the local business people, to keep the plot fees low enough to allow anyone in the community a place to grow their own food or flowers.
f) The Harvest Party lets us recognize the hard work of the members and volunteers that collect and donate extra produce to those who need it most. Each year the garden donates fresh produce to Camp St. Ministries, and this year Renee & her crew collected over 500lbs of fresh food that would have likely gone to the compost pile or rotted on the vine.
g) The Harvest Party gives us a chance to completely jam out with the KC Moaners, our favorite jug band of all time.
A very special thank you should be made to the Portuguese American Social Club for providing the space for not only our annual Harvest Party, but also for our annual Seed Swap in the late winter. Thank them the next time you’re in the neighborhood for helping us out every year.
Our raffle for this year:
- Deck’s handcrafted spoons (musical instrument) Deck Nieforth (KC Moaners)
- WhiskyRI tasting – www.whiskyri.com Thom Mitchell
- 2 books: Your Farm in the City & The Organic Herb Gardener Holly Dobbs
- Springtime bunny poo Holly Dobbs
- Massage or Alexander Technique work Holly Dobbs
- Estate plan Edie Warren
- Chocolate Truffles (Laughing Gull Chocolates) Lindsay Tarnoff
- BE_Loved houseplants Millie Mclean
- Coffee maker with thermos called “Café Therm” by Phillips. Daisy Schnepel
- Portable Charbroil gas grille Daisy Schnepel
- Dancing flowers! Renee Fullerton
- Book: SEEING FLOWERS (Discover the Hidden Life of Flowers) Renee Fullerton
- Coptic bound garden journal Justin Lewis
- Glass plates Harue Shimomoto
- Sterling silver spiral hoop earrings Ana
- Plot Number Sign makers Nova & Kevin
- Pet drawing from a photo Karen Usas
- 5 Ceramic vegetable whistles Norma Anderson
- Medicinal / Herbal tinctures Julie Powers & John Drake
- Flower garden paperweight Chris Belleau
- Several glass pumpkins & $20 Gift Certificate Gallery Belleau
- $25 Gift Cert Grass Fed Meats
- $25 Gift Cert Flatbread Company
- $25 Gift Cert The Rue De L’Espoir
- Two 200ml Bottle Gift Pack Olive Del Mundo
- Signed Copy of “Cucina Simpatica” Al Forno
- $25 Gift Certificate Citron Spa
- 2 Gift Certificates for Haircut & Glaze ($60 value) Papillon Jaune Salon
- Giftbox: 1/2lb coffee sampler, Monster Mug & 3-month Coffee Subscription New Harvest Coffee
- 6 months coffee subscription Coffee Exchange
- Framed picture Garrett Sheehan
- Products of the Hive gift basket Lisa Nason
- Silver earrings Brooklyn Jewelry
- 1 dozen Jelly Jars w/lids Edie Warren
- Bicycle tune-up Kurt Teichert
- Rush birdhouses Renee Fullerton
- Beauty Pageant Wrestling Photos, 1966 Jim Chapin (KC Moaners)
- 1Qt wildflower honey Bare Hand Apiary
- Butternut squash from our garden Harue Shimomoto
- $25 gift card Tallulah Taco
- Daisy picture Bonnie Buck
- Houseplants Becky!
If you are on the donator’s list and you have a preferred website you would like to be linked, or if I have made a mistake, please contact me straight away and I’ll be happy to correct it.
Thank you to everyone who donated time, money, items, food and big garden love to our party /slash/ FUNdraiser and to the garden-at-large this year and all previous years.
Keri (& Justin!), on behalf of
The Fox Point Community Garden