Recipe: West African Peanut Soup
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large yam or sweet potato
- 6-8 plum tomatoes or 1 large can of diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup peanut butter
- couple pinches of salt
- 4 cups water
- 2 vegetable boullion cubes
- green onion and hot sauce for condiments
- In a large pot dissolve the boullion cubes in water.
- Sautee onion and garlic until golden and set aside.
- Chop the carrots and yam/sweet potato into smaller chunks. Steam these for 15 minutes.
- In a blender, add tomato, carrots, yam/sweet potato, ginger, onion and garlic. Blend well. Add water from soup pot if needed.
- Add the blend to the soup pot and all remaining ingredients. Bring to boil.
- Serve over rice with green onion and hot sauce.
If you do not have a blender you can grate the carrots and yam/sweet potato and also buy canned pureed tomato. You may use smooth or chunky peanut butter but make sure it is all natural peanut butter i.e. peanuts and salt only.
Cooking time (duration): 60
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet (other): High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: African