Here is the garden update for this week:
Time for Fall Planting!!
Now is the time to plant some crops you’ll get to harvest in late fall. I’m planting beets, peas, carrots and lettuce. This article details what varieties are good to plant now: http://www.star-telegram.com/living/story/1525063.html
Doing some planting? Plant a few extra seeds in the terrace and label them! Or post your extra seeds on the bulletin board for other gardeners.
Potlucks and Parties
Potluck season is here. The best way to enjoy fresh produce is to share it with friends. Our last potluck at the garden was fun, it is great to get to know each other since we are sharing a space and working towards a common goal – growing things! Mark your calendars for…
- Fox Point Potluck at the garden Sunday, Sept. 13th @ 6:00 pm
- City Wide Community Garden Potluck Saturday Sept. 12th @ the Bridgham Community Garden in Prov’s West Side 5-7pm. All Fox Point Community Gardeners are invited (plus the other 450 community gardeners in the city!) This will be a great networking, educational, and family event!
- Harvest Party, Thurs Oct. 22 @ 6:00 pm (a BIG potluck and fundraiser with live music, a silent auction, etc.)
Donate Produce Thursday Nights or Friday Mornings
If you are stopping by the garden on Thursday to water, weed etc. harvest something extra for a local food pantry. Put donations in the plastic bins under the picnic table. Or email Renee with instructions so she can harvest something from your plot for you: firstname.lastname@example.org It’s very sad to see produce rot and go to waste when many of our neighbors could use some food!
- Put the handle down on the main water spigot (or else water leaks and we have a big mess of mud)
- Lock the gate! If you are leaving the garden and see just one other gardener, ask them which gate they will use to exit and make sure the other gate is locked! This year too much money has gone to replacing locks… so let’s try to hold on to the ones we have.
- Keep checking out the website, now with a great recipe for sun dried tomatoes: http://www.foxpointgarden.org/ What have you been cooking, growing, or learning this season? Contribute to the site, email Keri email@example.com
Here’s to a (finally) sunny summer!